Monday, September 19, 2011

This Doesn’t Feel Like Exercise . . . But It Is

In the blog “It’s Time to Get Healthy Part 1&2”, I mentioned three beautiful women who inspired me to work towards improving my health. Sonia, Nikki, and Ty are the owners of GoDiva Studio in Bloomfield, NJ. GoDiva Studio is an exotic dance studio that specializes in pole, belly and erotic fitness dance classes. Their mission is to empower women to own their sensuality using an alternative approach to fitness.



When GoDiva Studio had their grand opening, their potential clients had an opportunity to attend all of the classes that were offered at the studio for $20. Each attendee participated in a mini GoBelly, GoVixen, GoJiggle, GoZumba and GoPole class and they were all awesome. Sidebar: I must confess that I am not one with the pole. All I can do is wrap my leg around it or hold on to it and spin. As far as climbing . . . that’s just not going to happen. BUT, I do feel inspired standing by it.


In addition to the beautiful spirits of the owners, the instructors have a way of making all the women feel comfortable, sexy and beautiful. I can actually recall an inspirational speech one of the instructors shared with the class before he began to teach us a dance routine. The instructor said, “In here we are family, we are going to support one another and not judge one another because we receive enough judgment from people outside the walls of the studio.” His words touched everyone in the room and allowed the hard shells to crack and each woman’s sensual side to emerge. It was at that point when I concluded I would return to the studio (quite often) even though it is over 45 minutes from my home.

GoDiva Studio is a place where women can learn how to dance, feel good (inside and out) and meet other women just like them. I have been fortunate enough to meet a few wonderful young ladies in the one plus years that I have been a member of the studio. These young ladies also inspire me because of the support they give one another and others. Their beautiful smiles are infectious and it feels great to walk into the studio and receive a warm welcome of hugs.

If you don’t enjoy being in the gym and exercising the “traditional” way, perhaps GoDiva Studio (or the likes) is the place for you. I am confident you will find a class that you will enjoy. You will definitely receive a workout (and probably have more fun) during the hour class. I encourage you to visit their website at http://www.godivastudio.com/ or Like them on FB at Go Diva Studio.

To follow are 5 tips for playful grown up workouts:

• A playful attitude: Everything starts with your state of mind.

• Add variety: Hoola Hoop, Jump rope to a song like the old days.

• Discover what you enjoy: Find new nature and/or city walk trails.

• Make a play date: Ask an adult friend and/or children to join you for a playful workout – Dance!

• Make love: Sexercise can be playful and burn calories.

Sister/Friends, it is time to get off the couch or out the bed and do some form of exercise to get your body moving. It is important to move because we can keep the food moving. Get out and enjoy life!

I will close with this quote from Carol Welch, “Movement is a medicine for creating change in a person's physical, emotional, and mental states.”

Be Inspired and Inspire Someone

No comments: