Monday, September 12, 2011

Meditation . . . Few Minutes of Me Time

I had a wonderful friend inspire me to try a 21-Day Meditation Challenge. The challenge was offered online via the Chopra Center (http://www.chopra.com/). Each morning we received an email that shared with us our meditation for the day. During the initial days of the meditation, I thought this does not work for me because the meditation leader talked in a calm (somewhat strange) tone. Seriously, dude freaked me out and I thought he was playing with my psyche and trying to pull me into a cult. After day three of the meditation (and the transition of the leaders) I was all into the challenge.

The meditation was broken into 3 weeks and each week we focused on a different area and the leader then divided each day to help us build on the topic of the week.

Week 1 - Who Am I?
  • The Creator
  • The Teacher
  • The Giver
  • The Witness
As I started to write all of the adjectives that described me, I felt a little overwhelmed. It is amazing how we are so many things to so many people. For instance, we are mom, wife, coach, therapist, organizer, fixer, friend and a host of other things I won't even write. I am sure someone can identify with one or two of these. I often have people tell me I cannot do certain things because of the person whom I support. However, I usually turn it around and say I was and will always be Tina Hines before I started my job and after I depart.

Week 2 - What Do I Want?
  • Love
  • Health
  • Money
  • Emotional Freedom
  • Happiness
  • Abundance

Some of the questions the leader asked us to think about as we meditated.
  • What are you holding onto that is no longer serving me?
  • Is there an area in your life where you can visualize moving from constriction to total and complete expansion?
  • What does your life look and feel like after you have consciously chosen to let go of that constriction; that thing that no longer serves you?
We have to get into the habit of clearly expressing our needs; we are entitled to be happy. I encourage you to evaluate things that 'are not quite right' in your life and decide if they serve you a purpose or not. If it is the latter, perhaps it is time to to let them go. This thing (or person) can be toxic for you and impede your progress. Do not ever allow something or someone have that much power over you.

Week 3 - What Is Your Dharma (Purpose) in Life?

  • What do you see yourself doing?
  • What is it that you do better than anyone else?
  • How can you use this talent to bring joy to others?
We have unique abilities and an unique way of expressing these gifts. The leader said, "We awaken our inner voice that guides us to the highest aspects of our nature. Quiet the voices of others so you can awaken the voices of your own soul. Make yourself a priority."

At the end of the 21 Day Challenge, I learned that although I may be everything to a few people, at the end of the day I am still Tina Hines. The meditation allowed me to have some 'me time' and shut everything out for 10-20 minutes. That is a challenge within itself but we have to learn to take that time for ourselves. Most important, the meditation brought me here to begin fulfilling my purpose.

Do you know your purpose in life? When do you think you will start pursuing your purpose? If you are already pursuing it, how can you enhance it?

I will close with a quote from David Simon, one of the meditation leaders. "The greatest contribution we can make to the well-being of those in our lives is to have peace in our own hearts."

Be inspired and inspire someone!

No comments: